Sunday 11 February 2018

These Days

We spent more than four hours on the plot this afternoon - the sun was shining for much of the time and it was great to see blue skies. The bitter wind brought some clouds and even a little sleet - but at least it wasn't raining!
Another leek soup is cooking at the moment - leek and butterbean today. I thought I'd made the partnership up, but when I looked online I found this recipe on the British Leek website, so clearly it's a thing. I'm hoping the lack of a bayleaf or onion won't make too much difference.
Jamie's finished clearing and digging the patch where our shallots will be planted (hopefully) next weekend. We've bought Longor from Thompson & Morgan. We haven't grown shallots for a few years and haven't grown this kind of long bulbed one before. Here are some other seeds that we've bought.
The Lilla spring onion looks interesting. If we don't pick them as salad onions they can be left to bulb up and have a nice red/white inside. All the others we've sown before and they are our preferred varieties.
Here's the bit of plot I was clearing and digging - before and after.
I didn't quite finish before my back couldn't handle any more, but I was pleased that there weren't too many tree roots. I think the fancy red sweetcorn is going in that section, but we need to do a bit of planning.
At least there are few areas without weeds now, but there's a load more with weeds :-( A few more dry weekends would be appreciated! So the title song by Rudimental is because these days it's very hard to feel like doing anything outside, but these (dry) days have to be taken advantage of!

8 comments:

  1. Your dug areas look fantastic. So neat. Exciting to see all the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so pleasing to see freshly dug earth just ready and waiting....

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you have had "One Fine Day"! Looks like you are ahead of the game. Longor sounds intriguing. I am going to try Zebrunne, the so called banana shallot, from seed this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember growing shallots is fun as you get so many (fingers crossed) new shallots for each one you plant. We had 15 from a Golden Gourmet once, but I'm not sure how the long ones like to grow...

      Delete
  3. You’ve managed to do more on your plot than we have. It was bitterly cold today and with very soggy soil we just don’t feel motivated to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly hard to feel motivated but a little bit of sunshine definitely helps

      Delete
  4. The difference a bit of plot clearing does. You can really see your work and its a good feeling and an achievement. You should be pleased, ready for the next lot of growing. I am hoping to get the back garden ready by the end of March - I have a few days annual leave to take before the end of the financial year and that is my plan. As well as some seed sowing - question is where to put the seedling trays as we do not have much window sill space indoors where the sun shines - so gutted about our greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the long easter weekend will be a good one for gardening. Seems this weekend may be freezing again :-(

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda