Sunday 14 January 2018

One Way or Another...

I'm determined to eat all our leeks!
I've just made leek and chestnut soup. I still had the chestnuts that I bought in Tenerife - they're big on chestnuts - they even hold a chestnut festival in November; there are chestnut trees on the lower slopes of the mountains, but it turns out the ones I bought originated in China 😂 Oh well, they taste delicious!
I haven't used chestnuts in soup before but I've just tasted it and it's delish, quite sweet - I like sweet. I can't actually taste a chestnut flavour but it's certainly a different flavour from plain leek and carrot soup.
I used 100g of chestnuts, 100g of leeks and 75g sliced carrot, as a couple of recipes I found online suggested. But I didn't add the wine that they did - just 800ml of vegetable stock. Actually, I would have happily just tucked into when it looked like this, but I need it for lunches!
This evening our meal is leek and mushroom puff pastry tarts. I've fried the veg before putting into the ready-made pastry and topped with cheese.
It'll look better than this when it's cooked. There you go...
And tomorrow Jamie's making cauliflower and leek cheese. So that's three more ways with leeks, there will be a few more.... we have about 40 more leeks growing...
Thanks to Blondie for the title.

9 comments:

  1. Am I correct in guessing that you have a lot of leeks? The tarts look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of chest it's in soup. It all looks delicious. I think I may try growing leeks this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it a new year resolution to grow everything you say you're going to? ;-)

      Delete
  3. Leeks are so sweet, especially once they have been 'sweated' in butter. Then you can serve anything 'on a bed of leeks'. Leeks are also the ultimate soup ingredient. Now pastry - that's beyond my skill level! Alternative song title - "How Sweet It Is"

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth waters at your delicious cooking Belinda. But what's the hurry to eat the leeks, surely they will last in the ground at least six weeks more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, hopefully they'll be ok for a good while yet and the ones left in the ground are smaller so perhaps we'll get through more than 5 each week...

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda