Sunday 21 January 2018

Going Back to My Roots


These are the Double Red Sweetcorn seeds from RealSeeds - this year's attempt at growing funky sweetcorn - they're proper edible sweetcorn, not just for popping, so I'm going to try to look after the plants a bit better than I did with the Glass Gem last year (though we're on holiday in August, which may cause a problem..)
We had a very wet visit to the plot this afternoon. We managed to spend 3 hours clearing the greenhouse and doing various other little jobs - starting with clearing some of the debris from last week's awful gales. Lucky our Plot3 is such a mess there was nothing to damage!
These are just a couple of our Boltardy beetroot! Even boltardy may be a bit woody at that size, so...
I chopped them up and added them to the compost bin with some other plot waste. Such a great colour.
The greenhouse looked better by the time we left - notice the carefully placed watering cans to catch some of the rainwater that leaks through the roof. We need to do a bit of taping up when the weather cheers up.
I couldn't resist buying another bag of pre-cooked chestnuts as the soup was so tasty last week. So now I'm making vegetable soup with chestnuts - with carrot, parsnip, swede and leeks. For dinner I was going to have a stew but then I saw a lovely looking recipe here so decided to have roasted vegetables (and chestnuts) instead.
Today's song is provided by Odyssey.
 

2 comments:

  1. I hope you had those gloves on when dealing with the beetroot otherwise you would look like a mass murderer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does look rather gruesome - I did wear gloves!!

      Delete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda