Wednesday 28 June 2017

Pretty in Pink

In May I started soaking chive flowers in white wine vinegar and now it's looking pretty in 5 small bottles with the remainder in our vinegar bottle.
It has a lovely mild onion flavour, much less over-powering than pickled onion vinegar, which makes it perfect for adding to salads. The chive flowers had faded completely in the bottle.
I strained the liquid into a jug to get rid of any loose bits of flower and dusty pollen.
And voila - looks like an apothecary! It needs to be kept out of sunlight though, otherwise the colour will fade.
The Psychedelic Furs provide the title song ...

4 comments:

  1. Maybe I'll try this if ii get more flowers on my chives. I've just dead headed mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used the very first flowers of the season. Mine are looking a bit ropey now, even if I chop them back and let them re-grow...

      Delete
  2. They are looking very pretty. Just collected seeds from my chive heads so I am a bit late to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

If you visit, please leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for your interest.
Belinda